3 Productivity Tips For Entrepreneurs
This is a guest post written by Chief Content Strategist and Copywriter, Melanie Kernodle! Get more productive without the stress with these spot on tips.
As entrepreneurs, we have a lot on our plates. It seems there are always 100 things to do in a day and somehow we can never quite fit them all in.
When you’re struggling with your to-do list and fighting just to stay on top of things, your work starts to suffer. And things can slide down hill pretty fast.
That’s why having systems in place for staying productive is so important. If you don’t have a plan to stay productive, things aren’t going to go well for long.
These are my 3 best tips for increasing your productivity and getting more things done throughout your day. Whenever I implement these things in my day to day life I always see a big improvement in my work and how much I actually get done every day.
Tip 1: Get The Most Important Thing Done First
On any given day, you probably only have one or two things that absolutely have to get done. For some reason, those seem to be the things that we put off the most.
We waste our time on other little things or meaningless tasks rather than focusing our attention on the things we need to be doing. That’s why you should start your day off by doing the most important thing first.
Find that one thing that needs to get done. That thing that is most important and seems to be nagging at you. Do it first before you even start to think about doing something else.
Once you have that task finished, you’ll be feeling so much more productive. Usually the rest of your to-do list comes pretty easily. And if you think about it, all the other stuff you get done is a bonus.
Tip 2: Take Regular Breaks
This one seems a little counter intuitive. But taking breaks often can actually increase your productivity throughout the day.
Instead of working on something for a long period of time, feeling like you’re struggling to get through it, give yourself breaks every 30-60 minutes. These can be short 10 minute breaks or 30 minute breaks if that works for you.
Taking that time away from what you’re doing and giving your mind a rest helps you to jumpstart your productivity when you come back to it. I find that I often come back to my work feeling refreshed and motivated to keep going.
You might even find that you get something done a lot faster when you take breaks. Your mind stays sharper and you can focus more on the task at hand.
Tip 3: The 80/20 Rule
This rule says that 20% of the work produces 80% of the results. Which means that 80% of the things you’re doing aren’t really producing many results for you.
Cut out the 80% that isn’t serving you and focus on the other 20%. Usually those are the things that you’re dreading doing or putting off for some reason. Once you do that, you’ll not only find yourself a lot less stressed, but you’ll be seeing a lot more results.
Focus on doing only the tasks that you know will help you get to where you want to go. Don’t get distracted by all the other stuff that you think you have to be doing. Most of it isn’t worth your time anyways.
Productivity can be a very fickle thing. One day you might feel like you’re flying high and you’re on top of your to-do list. The next day you can’t seem to stop procrastinating on things.
These are the natural cycles that I think a lot of entrepreneurs go through. A plan for combating procrastination allows you to be more productive more often.
Follow these 3 simple tips and you will start to see some amazing results. Not only will you feel more productive, but you might also start to see more results from less effort which is something we all want.
Melanie Kernodle is the Chief Content Strategist and Copywriter at CopyRefresh. She is passionate about helping solopreneurs create amazing content that helps attract their ideal clients and grow their business. When she’s not writing, you can find her chowing down on some tacos or reading a personal development book. Join her free email course to help you write better copy here, or find her on Twitter and Instagram.